Ejiri, M., J. Nishimura, N. Yajima, T. Hirasawa, R. Fujii, H. Akiyama, T. Yamagami, S. Ohta, H. Kanzawa, F. Tohyama, and S. Kokubun, Polar Patrol Balloon Project in Japan, Advanced Space Research, 14, (2)201-(2)209, 1994.
Since 1984, the National Institute of Polar Research and the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science have studied the feasibility of a long-term circumpolar balloon experiment, Called Polar Patrol Balloon (PPB) project. This project aims at establishing a PPB system to bring scientific payloads in the stratosphere over the Antarctic region. Three test flights in 1987 and 1990 at Syowa Station convinced us that the PPB would have a good chance of coming back to the launching area, provided that we utilize the advantage of no sunset during the summer season in Antarctica. The PPB experiments were consequently made in 1990 to 1991. PPB #1 was launched on 25 Dec 1990 reached a height of 30 km and drifted westwards. At 22:30 (UT) on 8 Jan 1991, the PPB passed 400 km north of Syowa Station; this means that the PPB accomplished a complete circumpolar flight over Antarctica. Second flight (#2) was successively launched on 5 Jan 1991. A further 3rd flight (#3) was carried out for 23-28 Sept 1991 when an Antarctic ozone hole was developed.
- J. Nishimura, M. Kodama, K. Tsuruda, H. Fukunishi and Co-members of PPB Working Group, Feasibility studes of "Polar Patrol Balloon", Adv. Space Res. 5, 87-90 (1985).
- T. Nagata, H. Fukunishi, J. Nishimura, M. Kodama and Co-members of PPB Working Group, Polar Patrol Balloon project in Antarctica, Mem. Nati'l Inst. Polar Res., Spec. Issue 38, 156-163 (1985).
- M. Ejiri, A. Kadokura, T. Hirasawa, N. Sato, R. Fujii, H. Miyaoka, J. Nishimura, N. Yajima, T. Yamagishi, S. Kokubun, H. Fukunish, M. Yamanaka and M. Kodama, Polar Patrol Balloon experiment during 191-1993, Adv. Space Res., 13, No. 2, 127-130 (1993).
- H. Miyaoka, H. Mukai and H. Saito, Report of the 28th Japanese Antarctic Reserach Expedition 1986-1988, ed. National Institute of Polar Reaserch, 165-174 (1988).
- A. Kadokura, M. Ejiri, S. Ohta and H. Akiyama, Polar Patrol Balloon (PPB) experimaent of the 30h Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition (1989-1990), Antarctic Record 35, #2, 143-154 (1991).
- M.D. Yamanaka, K. Yamazak and H. Kanzawa, Studies of middle atmoshpere dynamics under the Polar Patrol Balloon (PPB) project; Present status and future plans, Proc. NIPR Symp. Upper Atmos. Phhys. 1, 65-74 (1988).
- T. Hirasawa, M. Ejiri, N. Sato, R. Fujii, H. Miyaoka, A. Kadokura, J. Nishimura, N. Yajima, T. Yamagami, S. Kokubun, H. Fukunishi, M. Yamanaka and M. Kodama, Polar Patroll Balloon experiment during 1991-1993, The proceedings of 7th International Symposium on Space Technology and Science (IST), 1593-1597 (1990).
- R. Fujii, H. Akiyama, S. Kokubun, N, Yajima, J. Nishimura and T. Hirasawa, Magnetic field urve with th aid of Polar Patrol Balloons in Antarctica, Proceedings of the Japan Academy 67, Ser. B, No. 3, 17-21 (1991).
- H. Kanzawa and Y. Kondo, A plan for observation of the Antarctc ozone hole in 1991 under the Polar Patrol Balloon (PPB) project, Antarctic Record 35, #2, 227-237 (1991).
- H. Kanzawa, R. Fujii, K. Yamazaki and M.D. Yamanka, Trajectory analysis of Polar Patrol Balloon (PPB) flights in the stratoshpere over Antarctica in summer and spring: A preliminary result, Proceedings of the 1992 Quadrennial Ozone Sympoium, in press.
- M. Hayashi, I. Murata, Y. Iwasaka, Y. Kondo and H. Kanzawa, Observation of ozon and aerosols in the Antarctic ozone hole of 1991 under the Polar Patrol Balloon (PPB) project - Preliminary result -., Proceedings of the 1991 Quadrennial Ozone Symposium, in press.